Résumé current as of April 2007. Can be considered current for six months.
Steven E. Bogart
Senior IT professional with expertise in databases, information architecture, software engineering and web technologies; skilled communicator; experienced in a wide range of not-for-profit and commercial contexts.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with audiences from non-technical staff & clients to IT experts
- Ability to focus on application of technology to achieve business goals rather than technology for its own sake
- Project management and effective use of issue tracking, knowledge management, and other collaboration tools
- Systems integration, data migration, and design & development of database-backed applications and websites
[Small Software & Services Company]
INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT (1999 - present)
- Director of Software Engineering (2006-present)
- Lead and coach a versatile, lean team of engineers working across multiple units and product lines. Manage projects, perform requirements analysis and determine staffing needs working with VP for Product Development. Institute and promote software engineering best practices aimed at reducing cost, risk & rework. Communicate plans, processes and progress to senior management. Serve as primary technical interface to customers and partners.
Software Engineer (2004 - 2006)
- Key developer in complete overhaul of the [Product], serving over 1500 clients with over 20 million constituent records. Designed and implemented several custom web-based internal status monitoring, dashboard, and data-browsing tools. Developed numerous PL/SQL components including custom ETL routines. Provided technical consultation in numerous client meetings. Planned, analyzed, and implemented many additional software projects.
- Developed multiple SOAP-based web services. Designed [Product] integration API for clients' Association Management Systems. Installed, configured, maintained, and promoted use of Bugzilla and wiki tools for team coordination.
- For sister companies [X and Y]: Performed large-scale database integration involving 900K person records and 200K related event records. Customized content management systems for clients. Co-developed presentation introducing Knowledge Management principles & practices to customers. Served as cross-unit technical expert in client meetings and sales calls.
OLIN SCHOOL OF BUSINESS, WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS (1993-1999)
- Produced professional database-backed web applications, maintained client sites, designed templates and logos.
- Selected projects: Expanded and re-architected small disorganized site to add a decade's worth of archival information while making all 250+ pages reachable within 2 clicks of the home page. Designed and implemented a double-blind electronic negotiations system. Developed custom web-based inventory management system.
- Selected clients: The National Academies, JohnKerry.com, The American Immigration Law Foundation, and the MacArthur Network on the Family and the Economy.
- Associate Director of Computing (1998-1999): Directed software development, web design, desktop and mainframe support. Supervised Assistant Director of Computing. Served as acting IT Director during leadership transition. Managed contractors creating school-wide cradle-to-grave constituent database. Migrated thousands of records from many flat-file databases into a single system, preserving data relationships.
- Assistant Director of Computing (1997-1998): Managed the School's web site as it expanded from 10 to over 1000 pages. Added interactive features and linked back-end information systems to the public web. Developed custom database solutions for departments and several VAX/VMS programs. Handled frequent PC/Mac support calls.
- Manager of Personal Computing Support (1995-1997) and Computer Lab Supervisor (1993-1995).
|SELECTED TECHNICAL PROFICIENCIES:
- Oracle 8 & 9i (PL/SQL; OLTP + OLAP), MySQL, Microsoft Access, Microsoft SQL Server
- Object-oriented Perl; regular expressions; PHP; Model-View-Controller framework; mod_perl; mod_rewrite;
- API design; Web Services development; XML; RSS/Atom; SOAP + WSDL
- Information architecture; graphic design; content management; BBEdit, Microsoft Word/Excel/PowerPoint
Washington University in St. Louis, Olin School of Business
B.S. in Business Administration (1993), magna cum laude, Honors in Management. Minors: Computer Science, Music.